Monday, October 22, 2012

Bump Update - 21 Weeks

I am now really into the swing of things with this pregnancy and think I am starting to feel it!

This past few weeks has seen lots of little pregnancy niggles, such a a headache that I get every single day around lunch time. Speaking of lunch time, ugh the afternoon slump has really hit me this week! All I want to do from about 12.30pm onwards is lay my head on my desk and have a nap. Obviously being a teacher, this is not possible! So any tips for getting through this will be greatly received and appreciated.

I am also suffering from extreme tiredness and even if I go to bed early I do not feel any better for it! By about 8pm I just want to crawl into bed, but I am trying to avoid it as I know too much sleep can also have the same affect. Someone recommended Spatone to me, which is a iron rich water, that you are supposed to dilute in juice, so I have been taking that, but I am yet to reap any benefit. I'm also concerned that iron can bung you up a bit! So I am only taking it every other day.

I've also had a lot of little niggly pain in my belly. I think it's just growing or stretching pain (round ligament pain) but it's actually more uncomfortable than I thought it would be. My belly even hurts when I go for a wee!

Another little niggle, is that I cannot stand anything around my belly. Jeans are a no no, as are tights or anything with a tight waistband. Even some of my pyjamas are proving a little tricky. It's really annoying as I feel like I am living in dresses and leggings, but it's the only thing I can wear without feeling bloated and uncomfortable.

However, on the positive side, we had our 20 week anomaly scan last week. Unfortunately, baby (again) wasn't led right and the sonographer couldn't get a picture of it's heart (although could see it beating, phew!) and she couldn't get a good measurement of its head. So we have to go back this week to have these measurements done. However, legs, arms, stomach, spine, face and kidneys are all present, perfect and working! We also tentatively found out the sex.....

It's a boy! Or so she 'thinks'. She will confirm this week, but she was pretty sure. It does all start to feel a lot more real now. The last time I saw baby was at 12 weeks, which seems a really, really long time ago so it was nice to see it again and extra good that we get to see it again this week! I just hope its head is normal. Apparently the size is about one week behind everything else. I had started to feel a bit out of the loop really with not seeing anyone since 12 weeks, but I had the consultant (because of high bp) and the midwife this week so I feel a bit better. Everyone says baby has a very strong healthy and happy heartbeat and is always very active when they try to listen in.  I was starting to worry as everyone keeps saying haven't I got a small bump, but a friend who is 25 weeks and also on her first baby, has only just started to show, so that made me feel a bit better.

To celebrate finding out, I went shopping and bought a few blue bits, so it had better be a boy! A very kind woman at work brought a huge bag of boys clothes in too today, so I am looking forward to getting home and having a look at them all!

One highlight of the week is our new bed! It is amazing! I have wanted a memory foam mattress for absolutely ages. The one we had I could feel the springs through and was making me ache. The hubby had an accident earlier in the year and has struggled with pain ever since. It's particularly bad at night. So, we took the plunge and bought one and so far, it is fabulous! I am so much more comfortable and the hubby is sleeping better than he has for months. We also bought a fabulous iron bed frame and it really finishes the room off now. I am really enjoying going to bed!

I have to admit, I had a bit of a melt down over the weekend and ended up in tears in bed! I am really really struggling with tiredness and this headache and I even took a few days off work this week, but it didn't help. I just had enough over the weekend, I felt like crap and I had a roast to make, ironing to do and the kitchen to tidy up. Hubby made some stupid remark along the lines that I wanted to be pregnant so I should just put up with it and I just snapped. I stormed off with my phone to bed and stayed there for about an hour (crying) until he took pity and came and got me. He ran me a bath and brought me a (non-alcoholic) cocktail. He then went downstairs and peeled the spuds and got the roast ready for me to just put in the oven. He then sat and watched Dumbo with me and he even washed up and dried the dishes (he did leave the ironing to me though). So all was forgiven. I feel better today now I've got that out of my system; I think I just needed him to sit up and take notice of how I was feeling and help a bit more. Or at least be a bit sympathetic.

I've also made it official at work! I have decided that my leaving date will be 1st February, which is exactly 4 weeks before my due date. I am hoping I can last until then, although I will have to see how it goes.

So I have now reached and passed the half way mark. I am now on countdown to 24 weeks when baby is actually officially viable!

mummystartingout x

No comments:

Post a Comment